The Association of Model Submariners.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

* THE FORUM FOR ALL THOSE INTERESTED IN BUILDING AND OPERATING MODEL SUBMARINES *

Join the AMS - Registered Forum users can become members of the AMS and it's free ...... To join send an email with your name , address and phone number to amstreasure@googlemail.com

For a guide to past events see the "Shows and Events" section.
Bournville MBC on Sunday 11th August 2024, 10.00 i
::::

Papplewick Pumping Station Sub Weekend, 14th & !5th Sept 2024

P~~~

$$$

Who is online?

In total there are 26 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 26 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 180 on Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:03 am

Latest topics

» WW2 mini sub build
The Forum. - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 05, 2024 8:15 am by david f

» Robbe Seawolf V2
The Forum. - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 03, 2024 11:01 pm by geofrancis

» Trumpeter 1/144 PLAN Type 092 Xia Class SSBN
The Forum. - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 06, 2024 5:42 am by redboat219

» UHF radio control for submarines (openLRS, LoRa, FSK etc. on 458Mhz and 433Mhz )
The Forum. - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 27, 2024 9:05 am by david f

» David Forrest's R class
The Forum. - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 19, 2024 1:00 pm by david f

» Futaba -868/915mhz equipment
The Forum. - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 09, 2024 10:47 pm by tsenecal

» Darnell type 21 submarine, need some help
The Forum. - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 09, 2024 9:35 am by Deep Diver (Fred)

» bladder bags
The Forum. - Page 2 EmptyTue May 28, 2024 8:30 am by Deep Diver (Fred)

» Peral Submarine of 1888
The Forum. - Page 2 EmptyMon May 20, 2024 1:00 pm by david f

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 12481 messages in 1987 subjects

We have 1019 registered users

The newest registered user is Flyboy21

Similar topics

+3
salmon
tattooed
Tom(ADMIN)
7 posters

The Forum.

Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

The Forum. - Page 2 Empty Re: The Forum.

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:08 pm

I've just spent the best part of the last two hours trying to find an alternative method of posting images on the forum, and it boils down to just two :

Firstly, use the forum image hosting software, or secondly use a remote host such as PhotoBucket. Both work perfectly well, I've tried both methods within the last thirty minutes and all is fine with either method.

The PhotoBucket option is a good way of posting images on the forum as it saves our server space. And don't be afraid of losing your images if there's ever a problem with PhotoBucket, they remain on our forum, so should you need to download them again, you can.

I've also investigated if it may be worth our while upgrading our forum software to a more advanced version, and basically...it's not. The photo imaging software remains the same, regardless of which version is in use, so you'd still have to use the same method of uploading images and the same software. I've also investigated whether it may be worth our while to completely rebuild the forum using another server and different software, but that would mean an awful lot of work and more financial outlay for not a great deal of gain. All we would really gain is the use of more knobs and buttons to confuse our members, some of which struggle to use what we have now, so I don't really think that's a feasible option...just look at the problems Model Boat Mayhem are having with their change of server and software.

If there's anyone who is still having problems uploading images, then try the PhotoBucket option...if you still have problems, then by all means contact me and I'll write up a full step by step instruction post of how to go about it.

Richard(ADMIN)
    johnrobinson
    johnrobinson

Post  johnrobinson Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:29 pm

HI Richard
    Sorry for not getting back and replying sooner i have been suffering with my jaw after having another tooth out and another infection in it i could pull the lot out my self can not believe how painfull it has been. You said about doing some basic circuits to go in to model subs will have a good think about it and see what i can come up with. I know you said that you find it interesting but hard to under stand but i suppose it's hard when you get in to RF electronics as this is a hole different area of electronics and it can get complicated very quick so i will try to keep it simple, what i will have to do in the electronics section where i post i will put some pictures up of a LMB unit which is used for receiving satellite TV signals on 10 GHZ, and what i have done is took the LMB apart cut the board in certain areas to make separate circuits for example cut one piece out which will be inverter section and bias control for the fets when the board has been cut up in to certain blocks of circuits the board is all put back together to form a 10 GHZ transmitter which will knock out about 100MW of RF, as this frequency you can send out BBC TV picture quality send out multiple sub carriers which can contain digital data, can be used on sub when on the surface of the water at this frequency antenna length would only be 6MM long so it could be hidden any where on the conning tower area and would not be seen. trouble is at this frequency you have to be very carefull as it is not a good idea to be close to a antenna at that frequency even knocking out 100MW .But i will just post these pictures up Just to give you a idea what can be done with RF and a little no how
    Sub John
    Giovanni LiCalsi
    Giovanni LiCalsi

Post  Giovanni LiCalsi Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:49 pm

Hi John,
    Good luck with your ilness.
    I very much enjoy your electronics and frequencies comments.
    When can we see new photos and videos of your sub ?

Regards,
    Giovanni
    david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Post  david f Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:07 am

Hi Richard and all,

I will go the photobucket route and let you know how it goes.

David
    johnrobinson
    johnrobinson

Post  johnrobinson Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:55 pm

HI Giovanni
    Nice to hear you enjoy the electronic posts on the forum, you asked about when will you see some photos and videos of the sub a friend of mine came around to night and asked the same thing. But with the problem i have had with my teeth it has had to be put on hold taking the sub out again this year as it has turned very cold to take the sub out, one of the problems is there is still some final trimming to be done and when it turns cold like it is hear it's no fun having your hands in cold water, but my friends still won't to take it out i am keen my self to put some videos on you tube
    All the best Sub John
    Giovanni LiCalsi
    Giovanni LiCalsi

Post  Giovanni LiCalsi Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:11 pm

Are there any indoor pools that are large enough to launch your sub ?
    Here in America, we have very large indoor YMCA swimming pools.
    Regards,
    Giovanni
    P.S.
    I am having a 3-D CAD drawing made of my Infinity-54 sailboat winch and would like to upgrade from a brushed to a brushless motor. Here is the brushed motor controller. It is using a 5K potentiometer feedback input for the double arm that pulls in the sheets ( strings ).

http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1392
    david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Post  david f Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:12 am

I think it is more difficult here because:

- With our climate there are fewer private outdoor pools.
    - Most indoor pools are publicly owned and so they have to be open to the public and we can't (for safety and decency reasons) mix the swimming general public and model submarines.

Having said that we have arranged occasional special pool sessions as one-off events.

David
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:32 am

I live opposite a school, and in that school is a beautiful indoor swimming pool. When I enquired if I could use it to sail model submarines, or even to organise something similar to a mini dive-in, the answer was a deafening "NO". They couldn't possibly have a thing like a model submarine in their swimming pool...health and safety issues, you understand.
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:22 pm

Anyway, this is for John Robinson...

John, please carry on posting up your electronics, just bear in mind that a lot us (mainly me!) have only just progressed from wiring up a mains plug!

Can I suggest a you write a list of common components and what they do? A 'soldering for idiots' guide? Maybe choose an item and do a write up on it...what it does, why we need it and what to do with it?

Current date/time is Sun Sep 08, 2024 2:37 am